Friday, June 18, 2010

Such a happy swap!

As well as participating in the Doll Quilt Swaps on Flickr, I also enjoy belonging to the Mini QT Swap. The mini quilts swapped, are usually are between 6 and 12 inches.

The theme for May was black & while + one other colour, not square or rectangle. I had promised myself to do no more swaps until DQS9, but...........I Just. Could. Not. Resist that theme!

I was partnered with Kimberly of bahamadawn, a very talented and creative lady, living in, yup, you guessed, The Bahamas! What a thrill! We exchanged addresses and colour preferences for the quilt we would be receiving. I asked for an Ocean colour, and I decided on using Fuchsia, from Kimberly's correspondence. Shape! eek! But this is why I love swaps, they challenge me to create outside my own preferences. Pink! 10 million raspberries! Pink, just doesn't do it for me, Pink, oh me, oh my!

I got over it of course, and this is what I sent to Kimberly......



I'm really pleased how it turned out. Thank you Jane for the loan of your wedge template, ooops I think I still have it! This is what I happened in the middle, it started out as such a small thought. What would it look like if I back stitched along the printed lines on the flower. I liked it, and, just kept going. So now I am experimenting with beads in my quilts. But just a few, I don't want it to detract from the fabric.

I enjoyed all the hand quilting, and the ric rac was fun to use too!





So......I hear you say, what did I receive?



One little birdie,




two little birdies,




three little birdies,




in a darling birdcage!

Isn't it divine! Kimberly also made a copper wire hook, and attached it to the top of the cage, for me to hang it up. Such a fab little piece, I sooooo adore it. Thanks again Kimberly!



I'll have to show you more from this group. Because we also swap 3.5" little blocks, in groups from 9 - 16!!! I've participated in two of these. One with a "Spring Fling" theme and another with the b & w + 1 colour theme. We were all given a specific colour, mine was Amber. The last block arrived yesterday. I'll get the camera out soon and take the necessary photo's.

Okay, that's enough from me for the moment.
Cheerio for now!
x Mandy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow.! what a Gorgeous Swap Mandy...Love yours especially the stitching & beads...and Love the one your Recieved...too Cute...Lovely to catch up with what you have been doing...
cheers