Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Last of the blocks for the Quilt-Along

Woo hoo


blocks E & F finished!


I love them



It did concern me at times, that the Large Rose print wouldn't work well with these blocks. But in the end, after trying to get as much colour contrast as I could (without not seeing the print!), I'm happy with the balance.
Tomorrow it's time to cut out the sashing, and to lay the blocks out on my bed to see the overall pattern. I will lay them out as Elizabeth did and take photo's, I find I can make placement decisions quicker, and easier, if I take photo's. Plus we'll be able to go to bed tomorrow night, ha!
The green solid that the blocks are on, is the smaller backing piece. The larger backing piece will be a cool grey, several shades darker than the grey of the blocks. I've a thread that is almost exactly it's colour, and was wondering if that would look okay for the quilting. The sashing for the front is a darkish aqua and the binding is a light aqua. If any one has any idea's on a good thread colour choice, I'd be very happy to hear it. This will be my first time at stipple quilting. I'm pretty nervous, but determined. I can't afford to get the quilting done professionally, and it's part of the Quilt-along to do, and therefore also learn stipple quilting from Elizabeth. And believe me I do want to learn, I just want to do a good job. Because I have so enjoyed this experience, I love this fabric and I want the best possible outcome to show that. Don't we always though.

Elizabeth has really done an excellent tutorial, minute detail has gone into every step she has posted. She has encountered a little finger wagging along the way, which has astounded, and completely baffled me. Her philosophy is, do it the way it works for you! At the beginning of her first Quilt-along post she says, "Before we start, I want to be clear that I do not consider my techniques to be the one right way to quilt. I'm just explaining what works for me, as developed through years of trial and error". Gee, it makes me so cross when people that give their expertise freely, like Elizabeth, are not fully appreciated.

Anyhoo, that's the end of my diatribe. Lastly, take a look at the flickr group for the 'Mod Sampler' quilt, every person has stamped their own personality on this pattern, the different fabric colour and pattern combinations are really fascinating!

Cheerio for now people

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lovely blocks Mandy!!!! You must be so excited to see how it is all going to come together, what fun! I am getting the quilt bug again and would love to start on another quilt!! Maybe once the book is done I will start on a newie!

Anonymous said...

I just love these colour combinations. They are all so pretty. I can't wait to see the whole quilt.

x Catherine